Promotion of Equality and Accessing Human Rights
Independent Living Movement Ireland’s work will be grounded in equality and a rights-based approach, working towards an inclusive Irish Society.
What will we do?
- Promote the social model of disability and challenge the medical /charity model through a human rights and equality approach.
- Promote awareness of the human rights and equality infrastructure through ‘know your rights’ workshops, training on human rights and equality and the development of appropriate online resources.
- Create links with Free Legal Advice Centres (FLAC), Public Interest Law Alliance (PILA), National University of Ireland Galway (NUIG) Centre for Disability Law and Policy in order to create a legal support structure for disabled people who face discrimination.
- Ensure that ILMI has strong links with the equality and human rights infrastructure such as the Irish Human Rights Equality Commission and the Workplace Relations Commission.
- Build allies across in all human rights, equality and anti-poverty struggles to ensure disabled people are involved and have their voices heard.
- Develop mechanisms for members to participate in and influence the delivery of genuinely inclusive public services based on commitments in the Disability Act 2005 and the Public Sector Human Rights and Equality Duty.